I've only seen one Madonna concert in person, and it was the Drowned World tour from 2000 (or was it 2001?). AG and I saw her at MSG, and it was one of the most memorable concerts I've ever been to. The prevailing theme was *fun*--even though she had some weird Asian-anime themes going on, the overall atmosphere was fun both on and off stage. The performers looked like they were having fun, and in turn, we the audience joined in.
I watched the NBC telecast of the Confessions tour tonight, and man, was it uncomfortable to watch. Not because I was "shocked" by any of the concert, but because it just looked so...serious. And forced. And really unstylish (she wore a white catsuit?!). And unfun. The "here's a deep serious message about the world" sections were unwatchable. Thank god for Tivo.
It was like watching the high school cheerleader sing Vegas show tunes.
Is it me? Have I gotten stodgy and impatient and unedgy in my old age? Have I grown out of Madonna?
1 comment:
Just stopping by on my surf of NaBloPoMo.
I think Madge is just in a hard-to-like period right now, especially for fans who had started to really dig her direction on Ray/Music/Life (which, to me, is her strongest trio ever).
I always have one disc in a Madonna "cycle" that i don't care for. I was listening to Confessions at work today and i just don't *get* it ... it all seems so vapid and contentless, especially with the constant recycling of old lyrics and chord changes.
I guess what you have to consider is that she had gone too far in the one direction for some of her listeners, and she felt the backlash on the low sales from Life followed by the big sales on the Reinvention tour.
Music aside (because her singing was mostly good, even if the songs sucked), the concert was just atrocious - the stage design was wonderful, but everything else was painful to watch. The choreography wasn't even that great, and that's usually one of her strongest points! And what was with that thing she was wearing when she was playing guitar?
I fast-forwarded through most of it. I can't imagine that any non-Madonna fan would have liked it.
Post a Comment