11.29.2006

Book Round-up

I generally have about 3 books in reading rotation.

Usually it's: 1) some type of non-fiction with a plot, like Thunderstruck; 2) a book I can pick up and put down easily or read out of order; and a repeat book, a book I've read in the past and am just re-reading for fun.

I recently finished The Omnivore's Dilemma. It was an excellent book--not quite as bleak as Fast Food Nation, but still painted a provocative picture of our food supply system. Going organic, eating locally, shopping at a farmer's market seems to be the trendy thing to do, but this book does a nice job of leading you to that decision on your own. I really like his writing style--he can make fairly dull things really riveting. One of his earlier books, The Botany of Desire, is a fascinating book about plant history/origins.

No comments: