8.08.2003

"Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot piiiiieeeeeee!"--Donny
I hesitate to call this a recipe because it's so simple. So maybe it's more like...a Tip Sheet.

Easy-peasy Chicken Pot Pie
This was kind of hard for me to write up because it's really not that exact. But that's ok, because it tastes better that way. I made this last night for dinner, and there was plenty for me, Anastacia, and Mr. Polarama to have seconds. And we have leftovers.

Gather together..

Chicken, cut into cubes (I would guess it was 2 cups of cut-up chicken)
4 carrots, cut into cubes (or discs, I guess)
3 stalks of Celery, cut into little half-moons
3 potatoes, cut into cubes
1/2 onion, diced
Peas, frozen (2 cups)

[You can totally vary the amount and type of vegetables you use. I would just suggest you cutting them to about the same size.]

1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup (I use the reduced-fat kind)
1 small container of sour cream (I use the fat-free kind)
Milk (again, I used fat-free)
Biscuit/pancake mix (like Bisquick or some other brand)
Paprika
Salt and pepper
Oil
Bacon bits
And a nice big casserole dish to hold it in.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the raw chicken. On the stove: heat up some oil and toss in the onion once it's hot. Stir your onions around, and toss in the chicken. Stir, stir, stir!

3. Dump in the vegetables, and keep stirring!

4. Add the condensed soup, sour cream, and about 1 c of milk.

5. Stir and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

6. In a bowl, mix together 2 parts biscuit mix to 1 part milk. For my recipe, I used 2 cups of mix to 1 cup of skim milk and that was definitely enough crust (remember, the biscuit mix kind of expands in the oven). You want it to be kind of paste-like. Not thin enough to pour.

7. Pour your chicken mixture into your casserole dish. Sprinkle paprika and bacon bits (generously!) on top.

8. Using a wooden or other flat spoon, lay the biscuit mixture on top to form a crust.

9. Bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden and the sides are bubbly.

10. Eat it!

No comments: