6.07.2004

Moi, runner?
Mr. P and I participated in the National Race for the Cure on Saturday. It wasn't as rainy as last year, thankfully.

Doing Race for the Cure is not unusual, but what made it different this year is that I actually *ran* the 5K instead of walking. See, I am a plodder. I can walk till the cows come home, but I usually will only run if I am being chased. I think I even managed to get out of running the mile in high school. So for me, a 5K is a BIG DEAL. It took me about 2 months to train for it, and now I can comfortably run 2 miles, but push myself to 3 if I had to. I am now inspired and want to train for the Cherry Blossom 10 mile next spring.

It was a fun course to run--downtown DC, past the monuments, back over the Tidal Basin and downtown again. It was so incredibly crowded--for the first 10 minutes we were all kind of in a pack of people, trying not to bump into each other. I ran the whole thing and finished it under 40 minutes!

And the event raised a cool $2 million for breast cancer services in DC and breast cancer research. Yay.

No comments: