Boutique E-tailers
The next couple makeup reviews will focus on boutique, online retailers (e-tailers, whatever you want to call them) that specialize in high-quality, homemade bath products. A little Q and A:
******************************************************************************************
Why buy from these sites?
A couple of reasons, but I do it because you get a very high quality product for a fraction of the cost. One etailer I love makes the best salt scrubs--the same size (maybe even larger) than Origins or other commercial ones, but and 1/3 the price. Plus, they almost ALWAYS have sales or deals (one etailer recently did a 50% off sale--yes, I went nuts there).
Another reason is quality. Most of these etailers use a high percentage of shea butter, soybean oils, and other high-quality, natural ingredients. Almost all the lotions/creams I have tried are much, much better than what you get in a store, and again, costs much less. If you are concerned with animal testing, I know that a few sites use only all natural products that have never been tested on animals. Also, because most are fresh or custom-made, they contain fewer preservatives and chemicals. Think about it---the St. Ives in the store was probably made months before you bought it.
The third, and most fun reason, is customization. Have you ever bought something, say, a lotion, and loved the scent so much you wished it came in a shower gel, too? Most of these etailers have a dazzling array of scents to choose from, and can make any product with any scent.
2. How do I know it's not a scam?
True, you are buying from what is basically a home business. I usually only order from etailers that are established PayPal sellers, so I am covered by PayPal policies.
3. Any drawbacks?
Well, to be honest, some of the packaging is a little...kitschy. I mean, it looks hand-made. But not all--and it's really not that bad.
The other big drawback is turnaround time. It is not unusual for an etailer order to take about 14 days from when you order to when you get your products. This is because their products are handmade, custom made when you order. I was really impatient at first, but now I don't mind so much. When I review the sites, I'll give you each sites turnaround time. Some are much quicker than others.
The third problem is that obviously, you don't get to actually see or touch the products. But I don't mind--you guys know me though--I am Queen of Buying Stuff Without Actually Seeing or Touching It. With almost all etailers, you can start slow with sample or smaller sizes that are much cheaper and allow you to try scents and products.
*****************************************************************************************
So, have I totally stopped worshipping at the alter of Kiehl's, The Body Shop, Origins, and CVS/Target? Well, not really. I actually have jumped off the Kiehl's Love Train (customer service and product issues for me), but it's not like I'm a total etailer convert. I just have more bath products now. Hee! :)
Ok, first review to come tomorrow for Scentful Bliss.
No comments:
Post a Comment